How to become a doctor in India
A doctor is a profession that comes under the most prestigious job in the world. This profession is also called the God of Man. India is a nation with a large population. It is the second most populated nation in the world. Therefore, due to the highest population, India needs many doctors who can give treatment.
Every year many aspirants in India choose this path to become doctors. As a doctor, you can find many opportunities like a government employee and a private employee. Here you will never face any job opportunity issue.
There are many ways and tips for becoming a doctor in India. You can choose the right field according to your interest, which will help you achieve your dream.
Eligibility Criteria to Become a Doctor
These are some eligibility criteria that you will need to meet.
- In 12th you must have science subject with minimum 60% of marks from a recognized university.
- You must pass the NEET or other entrance exams.
- Aspirants qualify M.B.B.S. degree from a recognized university.
A candidate will need a master’s degree in any doctor specialization to do a Ph.D.
Doctor Job Roles
As per your interest, you can find different job roles to become a doctor to start your career. Below I mentioned some job roles.
A surgeon specializes in surgery, which works to replace organ transplant, injuries, cure diseases. They can also perform surgery on all body parts such as brain surgery, heart surgery, dental surgery, and many others. Here it would help if you had a lot of emotional strength as a surgeon.
Family physicians check all the types of disease and, according to their treatment, suggest them to the right specialists. Here they give treatment to all age group of people too. They are also called family doctors because they can work as family doctors for a person.
Pediatricians are also called a child specialist. A pediatrician examines children’s health status, physical behavior, and growth. According to child health, they can provide treatment and care, ranging from major illnesses to minor illnesses.
A cardiologist is also called a heart doctor. They give the treatment of the cardiovascular system, body blood vessels, and heart too. If you have any interest in the heart, you can study cardiologist.
In a short word, a dentist is called a dental doctor. Here they take care of human dental diseases. A dentist provides treatment for gum teeth, dental operations, and other mouth problems.
The gynecologist is a specialist for female diseases who monitor the health of the mother during their pregnancy. They provide treatments for female diseases on the reproductive system.
An ophthalmologist is one who provides treatment for eye diseases like glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, amblyopia, and cataract. Eye diseases are very common, and almost everyone faces them. If you want to become an eye specialist, then you can study as an ophthalmologist.
E.N.T. specialist is also called an otolaryngologist. Those who provide treatments for the throat, nose, and ear.
As a dermatologist, you will give treatment for skin, nails, and hair diseases. It is the most in-demand specialization as people face these types of diseases every day.
A psychiatrist is one who gives treatments to mental health disorders. They give treatment to both adults, child patients.
Steps to become a doctor in India
These are the required steps you need to follow.
Step #1: Start preparation for the doctor
If you dream of becoming a doctor, first ask yourself whether you have any interest in biology?
Find out why you need to choose this career after that, find do you have the necessary skills or not?
You must have skills like communication skills, patience, quick learner, emotional strength, concentration. Find the skills you are weak in and try to improve them.
In 12th you should take science stream and understand about the doctor, you should take the biology subject instead of information technology.
Step #2: Enrol in the medical entrance exam
After preparing for a doctor’s skills, now start looking towards appearing in the medical entrance exam. Before searching for a good college, you should qualify in the entrance examination with good marks so that you can enroll in the college.
There are some main entrance examinations, with the help of these marks you can apply for the right college.
How to prepare for NEET Exam?
NEET means National Eligibility cum Entrance Test. It is a national level examination, and NTA conducts this examination every year.
Eligibility Criteria for NEET
- You must have 55% above marks in your 12th.
- You must pass in Chemistry, Physics, English and Biology subjects in your 12th standard.
- The age of the aspirant should be 17 years and above or below 25 years.
- For O.B.C., SC, S.T. candidates, there is five year age relaxation.
NEET Exam Pattern
NEET conducts the exam with Zoology, Botany, and Physics subjects, which comes with a total of 720 marks. Each subject contains 180 questions. NEET questions paper is based on the 12th standard.
Here you will face Negative marking too. You will get four marks for every question, and for any wrong answer, you will be got deducted one mark.
1. Know your syllabus
After applying to NEET, start preparing immediately. First, gather your exam pattern and syllabus and read all the details step by step. Know all the necessary details and prepare for it.
2. Collect your study materials and notes
Start collecting your 12th notes and study materials so that you can start your preparation as soon as possible. Here you will have to face intermediate standard questions.
3. Study regularly
Here you need a regular study which will help you to boost your preparation. Try to revise all the topics every day.
4. Attend mock tests
Try to attend a mock test once a week. This will help you in correcting your studies. You can find these types of tests on the Internet or even in apps. This test comes in a free and paid plan, and you can choose any of these at your convenience.
How to prepare for the A.I.I.M.S. exam?
A.I.I.M.S. stands for ALL India Institue of Medical Sciences. It is an entrance exam for those who want to pursue an M.B.B.S. course. Prepare for the A.I.I.M.S. exam after completing your 11th standard.
Eligibility Criteria for A.I.I.M.S.
- The aspirant must pass 12th from a recognized university.
- General candidate must have 60% marks in 12th and rest candidate must required 50% marks.
- Candidate should have Biology, Physics, Chemistry, English subjects in 12th standard.
- You should be over 17 years of age.
A.I.I.M.S. Exam Pattern
The paper comes with three main subjects, which are Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. It also comes with two additional subject aptitude and general knowledge.
Few colleges in India conduct their own entrance examination. With this exam, you can apply only to one college and not to another.
This exam comes with 200 MCQ questions. It also comes with negative marking. Each answer will give you one mark, and every three wrong answers will deduct one mark. The duration of the A.I.I.M.S. exam is 3 hours, 30 minutes.
A.I.I.M.S. exam paper comes in both English and Hindi language.
1. Acquainted with your syllabus
Before preparing for the A.I.I.M.S. exam, read all the syllabus. This will help you in clearing all your doubts regarding the exam. Read all the details, step by step, and prepare accordingly.
2. Collect your study materials
Try to keep all your intermediate notes with you. Here questions come on the basis of the 12th standard.
3. Study regularly
You need hard work and efforts to prepare for A.I.I.M.S. here. Try to study on a regular basis, which will help remind the subjects of study.
A.I.I.M.S. Preparation Books
- General Physics
- Organic Chemistry (Pearson)
- Objective biology (Trueman)
- Concepts of Physics (H.C Verma)
- Physical Chemistry (Narendra Avasti)
- Botany (Wiley)
- Wiley’s J. D. Lee Concise Inorganic Chemistry for NEET(Wiley)
Below I mentioned some colleges that organize their own entrance exams.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College (Karnataka)
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (Bhubaneswar, New Delhi, Jodhpur, Bhopal, Guntur, Rishikesh, Nagpur, Raebareli, Patna, Kalyani, Bathinda, and Gorakhpur)
- Lady Hardinge Medical College (New Delhi)
- Kasturba Medical College (Manipal)
- Maulana Azad Medical College (New Delhi)
- Armed Forces Medical College (Pune)
- Jawaharlal Institute of P.G. Medical Education & Research (Pondicherry)
- Christian Medical College (Vellore)
Here you can join with-out a NEET examination to become a doctor.
Can I prepare for the A.I.I.M.S. entrance exam at home?
Yes, you can prepare A.I.I.M.S. at home. But here, you need a mentor who can guide you and all the necessary books and study material.
Step #3: Join a good college to be a doctor
Applying to a good college is now an important step to pursue M.B.B.S. studies. Every candidate deserves a good college. If you did not get college, then you cannot understand your studies well.
So try to get good marks in your medical entrance exam so that you can get to college easily.
Below I am going to mention some colleges, try to enroll in these colleges.
- University College of Medical Sciences (Delhi)
- Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University (Varanasi)
- C.M College (Vellore)
- St Johns Medical College (Bangalore)
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (New Delhi)
- Kasturaba College (Manipal)
- King George’s Medical University (Lucknow)
- Jawaharlal Institute of Medical Education(Pondicherry)
- A.F.M. College (Pune)
- L.H.M College (New Delhi)
- Maulana Azad Medical College (New Delhi)
- Army College of Medical Sciences (New Delhi)
- Goa Medical College (Goa)
Step #4: Find a job
After completing all the steps now, it’s time to find a good job to become a doctor. In this specialization, you will not find any difficulty.
- There are lots of options for being a doctor, like you can open your own clinic. You can work independently here. But before opening a clinic, you need some years of experience.
- You can find nursing homes and multi-specialty hospitals in every state in India. Find career requirements in your fields from these places.
- Or you can find a doctor post in private and government industries.
- Now boarding schools and colleges are also publishing new recruitments, and you can also find.
- If you have any interest in central government posts, you can apply in the armed forces too. Here you will get a handsome salary with post reliability.
- In most central government organizations, you can find your specialization job for yourself.
- If you love to work as a volunteer, you can work in N.G.O.s also.
- There are so many research areas where you can work like I.C.M.R. (Jabalpur), I.C.M.R. (Bhopal), I.C.M.R. (Delhi), and many others.
- You have any interest in teaching, and you can apply to medical colleges, both private and government.
- In this specialization lot of scopes are there, but I want to mention one more specialization, that is, you can also work in biotechnology companies and in pharmaceutical companies.
How many years does it take to be a doctor in India?
It depends on which country you are completing your studies in. Suppose you want to complete your M.B.B.S. Study with an internship, and then you need a minimum of five years to 6 years to become a doctor.
Books to Become a Doctor
To be a doctor and while preparing for the M.B.B.S. entrance exam, you need good books and study materials.
Here I am going to mention some required books which will help you to prepare well.
- Concept of physics (H.C Verma)
- Truman’s Objective Biology for NEET Vol-1 & Vol-2 (Generic)
- NCERT Physics Part-1 & Part-2
- Organic Chemistry 7th edition (Pearson)
- Objective Physics for NEET (DC Pandey)
- Modern A.B.C. of Chemistry for Class 11th & 12th, Part-1 and part-2 (Akash Pathak)
- Objective Biology for NEET (S. Dinesh)
How to become a doctor in India after completing your M.B.B.S. study from another country?
Every year students try to move abroad for M.B.B.S. studies. Because government colleges in India provide very limited seats and compare seats with students, it is very less. There are so many private colleges, but their fees also too high.
If you look for medical studies abroad, then you have some options where you can study in good colleges with low fees, and after coming back to India, you can be eligible to get a job also.
There are some approved countries where you are eligible to do your doctoral studies. The countries are the United Kingdom, Italy, Nigeria, Russia, China, Latvia, United States of America, Poland, Malaysia, Philippines, Mauritius, Pakistan, Georgia.
Now you need to find the right country and college where you can study according to your budget.
After completing your studies, now it’s time to apply for F.M.G.E. Examination, which is conducted by the National Board Examination. It stands for Foreign Medical Graduates Examination. This is a mandatory exam after coming back to India for a job. It exactly gives you a license to work in India as a doctor. Every year F.M.G.E. conducts this exam two times. To qualify for this, you need 50% marks.
Pro & Cons to Become a Doctor in India
Is it worth becoming a doctor in India?
Yes, it is worth it to become a doctor in India. Compare to the population in India, doctors are very few, and you can get a job easily too. Here we will be going to discuss some pros and cons which will help you to get your right answer.
- A doctor is an honored post. After getting a doctor’s degree, it’s a very proud full moment.
- Here you can find a number of job options.
- You can work here as a volunteer.
- Here you will face a risky situation because you have the life of the patient in your hands.
- In some situations, you have to cover for a longer time for treatment.
- Here you can expect a call for treatment any time of the day or even at night too.
How much cost to become a doctor in India?
Suppose you study in any government college for this profession. In that case, you can complete your studies from Rs 30,000 / – to Rs 80,000 / – annually.
If you read in a private college, you will cost too high because, in India, private colleges charge very high fees like minimum 15lakhs to maximum 35lakhs.
And if you want to study abroad, it depends from country to country. If you want to study M.B.B.S. in European countries, then you will have to spend a lot to live and study, and there are some Asian countries where you can complete your M.B.B.S. study with low fees.
Doctor’s Salary in India
This is the only profession where you can work as what you want like you can work in a private organization, government organization, or work individual.
Here the doctor salary also depends on their place of working. If you work in any private organization, you will get a fixed amount salary from a minimum of 50,000/- per month to 200,000/- per month.
Suppose you were working full-time in a government organization. In that case, you could expect your salary minimum of 60,000/- per month to 300,000/- per month.
And while working here personally, you need some work experience so that you can provide good treatment for your patients. Here you will not have to face any fixed salary. It all depends on your hard work too. If you try here, you can increase your salary from a minimum of 40,000 / – to a maximum of 400,000/- per month.
Suppose you fall into a particular specialization like a dermatologist, general surgeon, cardiologist, and gynecologist. In that case, you can expect your salary from a minimum of 400,000/- per annum to 600,000/- per annum.
I feel I cleared here all the doubts regarding a doctor.
If I a say in a short word, If you have any interest in doctor then go for it. This is the only profession you will never regret.
Here you will get honors as well as an equal amount of salary. Because after 5 to 7 years of long study, you deserve it.
You need to put effort and hard work here to become a doctor. If you strive, then you can achieve your dream easily.
If you have any doubt about this, you can comment below.